Sunday, November 11, 2012

11,11 at 11am Veterans Day, My Sons My HEROS!

Brock Begley reenlist during war
This is my eldest son. Not only did he originally volunteer to serve during a time of war, he also reenlisted under the heat of the desert skies of Afghanistan. Brock is one of my heroes. Never would I have ever imagined as I brought my baby home from the hospital, nurtured him through his first day of kindergarten, watched him finish school and marry his sweetheart, that there would come a day I had to send my son to war.

I was not prepared for the emotions I saw and felt on that deployment day. I saw young wives holding their husbands tight, unsuspecting babies playing with their daddies and pregnant wives looking with scared uncertainty.

The tears fell as showers that day as we clung to each other and the thread of faith we had instilled in our family from the day he was born. Everyday for a full year we learned to walk in faith. Days that we would hear from him would be encouraging. He was always positive as he was trained to be, but he would let us know to send him protein, hand warmers, and baby wipes in his care packages meaning they were without their basic needs. He quickly dropped weight. He then would call out of the blue and just say hi and could you pray. We understood that to mean he was going out on a dangerous mission and this may be his last "I love you", but he couldn't tell us that. I remember one day he told me he was having difficulty sleeping because two NATO members that he had come to know, had not come back to the COB, one was killed and one was severely injured.  This was my baby boy, grown to be a warrior and my HERO.

When Brock returned back to Ft Lewis, he and his friend and battle buddy took the battle to the kitchen as the won the Iron chef competition. Yes my son is a chef and that is great when he comes home! Boy can he cook!
My father is another hero of mine, I have had three fathers and they all have been a blessing in some way or another. Today I am referring to John W Baggett. He served in WWII in the Navy. He also was a cook! He has been gone for 41 years now, love you daddy!

My Uncle Wayne "Butch" Wroblewski, another hero of mine, served in the Vietnam War. Like so many others he never spoke of his service. He also has passed on but I must say that I can still hear the 21 gun salute, the solemn drone of the Taps and the sound of the jets over head as they flew in the Missing Man Formation. Yes, my uncle was a pilot, he had earned his wings and now he has his wings in heaven.

My son Bart again is a hero of mine! He voluntarily signed up for service during wartime. He unfortunately was hurt during boot camp and was not able to finish, but what a brave heart to make this step. He also rededicated his life to Christ in his time there!

Now I am facing another challenge to my faith!
Not only am I an Army Mom! Now I am also a Navy Mom! My three sons, my three heroes!
I would never have imagined that my boys would defend their country and experience all they have experienced, the good and the bad.


My youngest son Paul Andrew "Drew" has enlisted, again voluntarily during wartime. He will be leaving me soon and embark on his journey. Again I cannot fathom the bravery of taking this step.  This is my baby boy. I can only hope I can muster up the bravery through my tears as I send another son to the service of this great country.

I know you all share similar stories and I would love for you to share them on this great day that was set aside as day to honor and say thank you to all our veterans.

Oh and why 11, 11 at 11am? That is  the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice during WWI 1918. Originally called Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, the name was changed to Veterans Day in  1954 with an amendment to the original Congressional Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U.S. Code, Sec. 87a.

Thank you to all who have, are and are planning to serve. 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I thank your son's for their service to the USA. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send this Special prayer up for the Heidi’s family

    Father God in the Name of Jesus I ask that you protect our Heroes(Heidi sons) while they served/fighting for this Nation also after the battle is done. God I ask that you protect, cover them under your blood of Jesus, and heal quickly if wounded. Be their guide through the lonely nights, give them peace and comfort for only you God is a great comforter let your anointing be felt as they served, let them know that you are the keeper of their souls when they feel like there no one there and we’ll forever give you the honor and praise. God I pray for all of our heroes as they served we thank you for your blessing and mercy that you has bestowed on us give them strength to fight together for you are the ultimate battle fighter/winner I thank you Jesus for what you already done in Jesus Precious name Amen.

    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Psa. 144:1-2

    Heidi may God Bless you and your family

    Love you Very Much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog Heidi. I know you must be very proud of your sons. It must be hard to know what they are facing when they are a world away. That's where our Faith comes in and we have to give it all to The Lord. I know you already know this being a God-Fearing woman/wife/mother. And you can tell all boys belong to you and Paul. :) I pray God's riches blessings on you and your family. "Keep up the great work"

    ReplyDelete